Monday, July 6, 2009


Our bone graph was a successful surgery - I survived (I think). I pinch myself every time I think I actually survived. We had a few snafus, but nothing we could not overcome.

To say that Rylan is a ROCK STARR would be putting it lightly. This kid totally rocks my world, and makes me re-think my thoughts on life and purpose. He does not do it on purpose, it all sort of just happens.

We WERE released within 24 hours of surgery - which floors me.

Surgery was from 12:20 to 4pm. And somewhere among it all, my mother wanted me to eat. I could barely breath - please don't make me eat. As we were called back to recovery, I noticed sticky stuff around Rylan's eyes. The nurse commented that his eyes were taped shut while the machine 'helped him breath'. *my heart skipped at beat at that moment.*

I imagine the stars lining up so that everything goes JUST right, so the kid can come out from being put under. That scares the living hell out of me. He is groggy, his voice is strained sounding - from the tube they put down his throat.

And 2 hours after surgery he is puking up his guts. The pink puke tray is filled with blood and sprite. The amount of blood, makes my skin crawl. The puking throws him into severe pain - his hip hurts, his mouth hurts and now the puking. It is almost more than I can stand.

We give him oxy-codone and Tylenol at the same time - he goes to sleep. While he is sleeping, I crawl in bed with him - being sure not to touch his hip. I lay next to him while he sleeps, I don't sleep much - for the most part I cry. Tears of joy, sadness and relief. While I cry, Lance sleeps on the other side of the room. His snoring is rather comforting, and Rylan's breath strokes my heart and reminds it to beat. I am so glad to have him back.

He wakes up at 4 am - the puking continues. And that sucks.

He is still drinking, though - so we are giving him ANYTHING he wants. I pull out the camera - I feel like I must document this adventure; even if it hurts me to the core. The moment he notices the camera he tries to smile. A small giggle escapes my mouth - that damn kid; swollen 10 times more than normal and hurts like hell and wants to smile for the camera. God bless him and his tender soul.

I take photo's to document the recovery - I feel it is important for him and the multiple families that we stay in touch with. The darn kid even gives me a thumbs up. While I am on the phone on Friday, I am telling someone about the number of times he puked thru out the night - he holds up his hands and corrects me. He lets me know he actually puked 4 times thru out the night; not just the little 3 I was explaining. Somewhere along the way early Friday morning he even found it in him to sass me - I was taken aback, and humored at the same time. I hugged Lance and we both smiled - so very glad to have him back.

They released us close to 1pm on Friday - Rylan could not even walk, nor was he keeping much down. I was half angry they let us go. I thought they were CRAZY thinking that they could send us home because he would recovery rather quickly.

Well, color me all wrong.

Friday and Friday night was still a bit of a struggle. I had to help him walk to the bathroom, and hold him as he attempted to slide each foot across the floor - picking them up was too hard. Friday was another night of hell. We bought him ensure, ice cream, apple juice, sprite, yogurt, mash potatoes. Anything soft - nonchew and filled with calories. He drank the ensure like a champ and was glad to have a soda more than once a week. His drink of choice was sprite.

I leave early on Sat to go get Pyper - this takes me 5 hours. When I left he was still in hell mode. When I got back, 5 hours later, he was walking around. I almost fell over.

WALKING AROUND. He even took a shower - by himself. He was playing his gameboy. I asked Lance if he was on his pain med's - nope. Just Tylenol. I thought it was a fluke. Rylan begged to go see the fireworks - I eventually gave in.

He walked around with a punk in his hands - dragging his right leg around so he didn't hurt his hip. And we stayed out for a couple of hours. During his 4th of July outing him and some friends put tape on his shirt. The tape was on the front with a big letter A. I asked him what that was for - he smiled and stated ' because I look like a chipmunk, and I get to be Alvin.' *see him steal my heart at that very moment. His sense of humor, and ability to take it all in stride amazes me - I have so much to learn* I expected our 4th of July outing to put him in alot of pain. I figured we over-did-it. Color me wrong again. Sunday he was even better.

He continued to laugh at himself, continued to let me take photos and continues to get better.

After Friday I never touched his pain med's again. We maybe give him a dose of Tylenol here and there - but nothing frequent.

Pyper told him, in her 3 yr old way, that he 'looked weird'. She asked him flat out 'what happened to you?' His response - 'my dad hit me' ; then he rolls laughing. *dear god*

Pyper luv's it - and has told everyone that her dad hits her and her brother. *see child services arriving any day now*. That kids has such wit, and such a good disposition - I could not be more amazed.

So, Friday night Lance and I are sitting out back while Rylan sleeps. We are reconnecting, and thanking god that Rylan is safe and sound. Me with my red wine him with his beer. We are sharing our stories of amazement, laughing and crying. Then it dawns on us 'He never asked why.' He NEVER asked why he had to have this done. Sure we talked to all the doctors, we explained the procedure - yada, yada, yada. But we never said WHY. And he never asked. *damn he is a trusting soul, I can only hope we don't disappoint*

So on Sunday night, around the dinner table - I asked him. 'Do you know why we had this surgery?' He states 'no.' and he shrugs his shoulders, in a whatever manner. We explain that this is to help with jaw growth, and for future teeth - in an effort to keep him looking normal as he grows. He laughs, smiles and said ' well thank god they didn't take bone from my butt, otherwise I would be kissing my butt all the time.' And with that we laughed until we cried and we moved on.

This child is amazing. I know he is mine and I AM biased. But I will not keep him forever, I will share him and his wonderful attitude with anyone who will listen. He truly is one of a kind. Most of his qualities of kindness, humor and willingness to accept the unknown does not come from me or his father. I pray we pay enough attention to him and Pyper that we don't miss the important attributes in both of them. To say that I am amazed would be putting it lightly. I am blessed and I know it. Lance and I both agree he has a soft heart and no little guy (girl) should have to endure the operations that he has, we are so grateful for him and his sister.

Thank you for the outpour of support, prayers and well wishes. We are rockn't his out one day at a time. Today I went to work for a few hours. He asked to go see the kids - he didn't want to stay at home with me and be 'bored'. I gave him a 4 hour window. Now it is 10pm at night - his day was fine and still no pain med's. I am taking it all in stride - that is all I have these days. I am letting him lead me on this one.

He IS swallowen. He had nothing external done to his face - just internal. To graphs of bone were placed in his gumline. Each day the swelling goes down and he looks more and more like my 'fry guy'. This was taken on Saturday. I will post an updated on soon. You will be amazed.

1 comment:

Farrell said...

THAT was a beautiful post; one you should save and keep in a safe place forever and ever.
He is a trooper; that is putting it lightly.
It's amazing what we learn from our children, isn't it? Mine teaches me every day.
Again, just beautiful. Made tears come to my eyes. And you and he have a wonderful outlook on the whole thing. He's a survivor, that one! It will take him far in life, as I'm sure you already know.


Nieces & Nephews and Kids...