Holiday run...

We are sprinting to the finish line for 2009 and I cannot wait for it to be over.
It has had its bright spots but for the most part I am ready to ring in the new year and hopefully a few new happier moments.

2009 seemed to be a year of loss for us, which seems weird - it seems like every other phone call or knock at the door was another dose of bad news. I asked Lance the other day, when I found out that my second cousin had died in a vehicle accident in Texas, if death had always surrounded us and we never knew it or has it really been a bad year? He agreed, it has really been a bad year. The individuals that we lost this year were not old, actually not a one of them died of old age - nor were they expected. The series of events have kept us humble and perhaps given us some much needed perspective during this holiday time.

To say that this holiday season will be tough will be an understatement. We are living pay-check to paycheck and sometimes not even making it then. Lance has been a stay at home dad for the better part of the year, and as much as it brings him joy to see our kids and be available it has been hard on him. His ego has burst a bit and our ability to get things accomplished has diminished. We did not take a family trip this year, we could not afford to; which is fine. However our family trip consist of visiting HIS family in Texas. His mother is in her 80's and it is important to us to create memories for them and us. A few months ago we got a phone call that his mother was in ICU, the guilt swept thru like a freight train. The one year we could not make it, could have been the year we lost her. Luckily she had a lung infection and has pulled thru, he would have been crushed to have lost her and not gotten to see her.
But at the same time we cannot jeopardize our ability to keep our heads above water, so the decision not to go to Texas this year or anywhere else for that matter was a must. Welcome to turning into adults, because honestly for a brief moment I was ready to whip out the ol'credit card.
Thanksgiving was a complete blurr.....
We ran to the country Wed night, had Thanksgiving on Thursday, got up early Friday to head to football. Had a game Friday afternoon, which we lost (actually we got smoked!) - this meant we had to play on Saturday. We won our 12:30 game on Saturday which meant we had to play again at 7pm Saturday night. This is the point where I wanted to blow my face off. The games were held an hour away, so we did not go home between Friday and Sat night. Our car was packed to the max with our suite cases from our Wed night track in the night to the country. Plus traveling with a 3 yr old can be tricky - it is even more intense when it is Pyper. Why, well - she is Pyper. On top of it all she was complaining that her pee-pee hurt. I treated it with A&D hoping it was external. Nope, it turned out to be a urinary-tract infection. OMG.
So as Lance smoked two packs of cigs, and walked up and down the football field as if we were going to win a damn gold medal, I went to the bathroom 40,000 times with a child who would wince in pain every time. Luckily the day was perfect, beautiful -therefore being outside was good for our soul. That was until we were still there as the sun went down and the temperature dropped. Needless to say we were still on the football field at 9pm. The boys played their hearts out, the games were close and good. Which is weird to say, for gosh sakes it was only pee-wee football. But if their football drive carried these boys into adult hood, they could aspire to do great things. I am beyond proud of Rylan he showed so much heart, strenght and drive. But best of all he enjoyed it - much to his crack-head fathers delight.
As we pulled into the drive at 10pm Sat night we were beat. Rylan smelled like a gym locker and Pyper looked like a damn rugrat. They crawled into bed as is...too tired to even change. As I changed Pyper she moaned in her sleep, upset that I was even touching her and disrupting her moment of sleep. It took all I had to get Rylan to take his cup out of his pants.
Once I had them tucked into their beds, I changed my clothes and went out. Yes - folks on top of the thanksgiving hustle-bustle and football I went to the damn barr. No I am not a barr fly, it was my sisters birthday. As I arrive at 11pm smelling like popcorn and ball sweat, I of course am late to the party. The girls by 11pm are rowdy and I have 2 hours to attempt to catch up. By 1am I am SO ready to go home, so ready to sleep in my bed. As I get home and grab a quick shower I thank god I am home and that everyone is asleep in my house. I have high expectations of sleeping in and staying in my pj's all day Sunday.
I would like to say that was the end of our adventure, but then it would not be my house if things were that easy. Pyper woke up - her infection got worse. Up early to take her to the doc in the box, well they sent us to Urgent Care. Yes, finally a damn prescription to treat her UTI - whew. This morning she was a bit better - after three doses of an antibiotic.
Rylan spent Sunday in his pj's playing the Wii, eating and just relaxing. He needed a break.
By 8pm last night everyone was asleep in my house.
By 3am I hear Rylan's feet hit the floor and him whining. I rush to the bathroom to find him bent over the toilet. I am cursing in my head *damn, damn, damn*.
His sad eyes are pleading with me to help him, he feels like puking. I feel his head, no fever - I think I am in the clear. I send him to bed with a cold rage, only to hear him 10 minutes later.
By the time I make it to him he is puking his guts up. No, no, no!!!!
I fear we may have the flu. So now we have a UTI and puking. I begin to wonder if we got the flu from the someone at football - do you know how many hands he had to slap in an effort to say good game?
I do no do black friday, nor do I do cyber monday.
So I have not bought one x-mas present, we do not have our lights or tree up and Lance is at home w/ two kids. As we spoke this moring, we agreed that it is just a matter of time before Pyper gets and with that we kissed each other as if to acknowledge 'here we go'.

Comments

Farrell said…
OMIG When will you get a break????!?

Popular posts from this blog

Pyper is 18! Watch out World, she is coming for you!

REALLY STUPID..

Joke - NOT funny.